Thursday, June 2, 2011

Goodbye year two....

Well, my second year of teaching is officially over! The kids left at noon today. The rest of the day was spent packing and moving out. Tomorrow we have a meeting at ten followed by a luncheon, then it's check out time! I'll turn in my keys and say goodbye to my second school.

When I found out in September that I had to move to this school, I was heartbroken. I remember laying in bed and thinking, "There is no way I will like it there. There is no way I can teach an entire year without my friends at Townley. There is no way I will survive. I can't do it. I can't teach fourth grade self contained. I can't move schools." I think I cried every day for at least two weeks. For my first weeks at Farine, I didn't care to make friends with anyone. I kept telling myself that it didn't matter, because I would only be there a year. I regret that now. It lost precious time with some wonderful people! I think that I was just scared that I'd get attached to them too, and then be heartbroken when I left again. I finally let my guard down and have made some dear friends. I still miss Townley terribly and would love to go back there someday, but I'm also going to miss my new school so much.


This year flew by. I learned so much from being self contained this year. I made mistakes, but I learned from them. I got impatient, but it taught me patience. There were times that it was rough and I wanted to give up, but then there were days (lots of days!) that were so great. 


At the end of the day today, I gathered my 16 munchkins together to say goodbye. I didn't think I'd be sad, but as I looked at their sweet faces and told them goodbye, I couldn't help getting choked up. I'll probably never see them again, and that's hard to accept after you have spent 7 1/2 hours, 5 days a week, for the past 10 months! They are precious and I already miss them. I pray that they learned a lot this year and that when they think back on their fourth grade year, they do it with a smile.


So, I have two years under my belt and two schools! I have been so blessed to be at two amazing schools. I wouldn't trade my experiences at either one of them for anything. I am excited and anxious about next year! I hope that this time next year I am writing another post about how great my third year was!
post signature

No comments: