Today was an emotional day.
I spent first-third period wrapping probably a hundred presents for a needy family in our school. The family has 7 children, and without help, they would have no Christmas. My elar department came together and showered them with gifts. My yearbook kids and I were given the task of wrapping the gifts. Keep in mind that almost all of my students come from low income homes- many of them barely have a Christmas at all. My students didnt know that the presents were for kids at our school, but they expressed pure joy as we wrapped them. They were so excited to be helping a family out. They'd talk about the game or shirt they were wrapping, and they'd imagine what the kids would say when they opened it. They talked about how they wish they could be there to see the kids smile on Christmas morning. As they left my class this morning, one girl looked at me and said, "I think I finally understand what it means when people say giving is better than receiving." Oh, it blessed my heart to see their pure and innocent joy.
Two periods later, I found myself at lunch with other teachers. We started discussing the unimaginable tragedy at the school in Connecticut. All day long I've heard of how hard this tragedy hit parents, and how parents are hugging their kids tighter tonight. I'm not a parent, but as a teacher, I can tell you that this incident has rocked me to my core. I looked at my students and I was overcome with how much I loved them. How much they meant to me. How it would kill me inside if they ever had to experience something like that.
During sixth period, the mom of the family we bought presents for came to the school to get the gifts. We had them piled in seven huge stacks- one for each child. She originally thought only one stack was for her family. When she realized all of it was for her, she started crying and crying. She told us that one of her youngest kids and her were talking a few days ago. She told her kid that this year, Santa might not be able to make it to their house. The kid looked at the mom and said, "Mom, come on! Have faith. Santa always comes through in the end." And then she looked at us and thanked us for being their Santa. There wasn't a dry eye in the room.
Later, when I got home, I was reading articles about the school shooting. There was one article that told about the music teacher at the school. Apparently, the gunman was at her door banging for her to let him in. She took her students, hid them in a closet, told them she loved them, and then stood guard at the for in case he made it in. She was ready to do anything it took to save those kids. She's being hailed as a hero, and I agree 110%. But I can guarantee you that wherever she is tonight, she does not see herself as a hero. She sees herself as a teacher. A teachers job goes far beyond teaching a child the state and national standards. Parents entrust us with their most valuable thing, and most teachers hold that to high regard. Every single teacher that I know would have done the same exact thing. It's instinct. You spend every day with these kids, and they become yours. And you'll lay your life down to save theirs. I imagine its similar to parenting. Teachers are heroes every day.
Y'all, today has reminded so many of us of the evil in the world. I am here to remind you that there IS good. There is so much good. There are people out there who give and give and give. There are people out there who lay down their lives for others. There are people who love.
Most of all, there is a God who loves. There is a God who is the peace in a storm, who lifts you up when you're broken. He is good.
My heart is broken for those 20 precious babies. I've cried many tears for them today. I pray that their deaths will not be in vain. I pray that this incident will change our schools, our country. But please, don't let this tragic event make you live in fear. There is evil in this world, but Christ has already overcome it! Live in Him. Live fearlessly. Love fearlessly. Do it for those 20 babies who don't get to.

1 comment:
You rock for wrapping all those gifts. The needy families receiving them will appreciate your efforts so much.
Post a Comment