Yesterday I finally sat down to go through my mail from the week that I spent at the beach. I hate going through the mail. Mainly because it's all bills or junk mail. I mean, when was the last time anyone actually sent a letter, right? Opening mail would be so much more exciting if people still sent letters.
Anyway, I had a purple envelope in the stack and I pulled it out, because it looked like a card. I didn't recognize the name or return address- it was from someone named Joy in Tennessee. I opened it and found a card that simply said "Just wanted to say hi- Joy". I was so confused! Who was this person??
However, there was a typed note instead. I opened it and began reading about how this lady knew my mom in high school. It was a letter full of stories about fun times they had and how much my mom's friendship meant to her. Even though it's been seven years, she said she was just hearing of my mom's passing and she wanted me to know what my mom meant to her. I finished the letter with tears streaming down my face.
I have no idea how this lady found my address. She said she found my blog online, so if she is reading this, I hope she knows how much that letter meant to me. I've written a letter to send back to her and I plan on dropping it off at the post office after school today.
Most people these days would have thought about the stories with a smile on their face, but how many people would have taken the time to track me down and send me a letter? Not many. I think that says a lot about this lady and the impact my mom had on her. She must have really wanted me to know how much my mom meant to her, and it meant so much to me!!
I called my grandmother, dad, and sister and read the letter to them. They each said it meant so much to them to hear those stories. I took pictures of the letter and texted it to my brothers, and they enjoyed reading it as well. It's crazy how a simple letter meant so much to me. I will cherish it forever.
So Joy, if you're reading this, thank you. Be looking for a letter in the mail from me soon! Thank you so much for giving me the chance to hear who my mom was as a young girl and how she impacted your life. It means more to me than you will ever, ever know.
I think we should all start sending more snail mail, because it seriously made my day! :)

No comments:
Post a Comment