Friday, May 14, 2010

Show us your life- Favorite books

Today is another "Show us your life" at Kelly's Korner. Today is "show us your favorite books". I love this topic! Mainly because I love to read. Growing up, I was the student who would hide their book in the textbook and read it instead. I would hide my book under my desk and read it instead of working. I use to get in trouble all the time for reading too much! I'm sure it drove my teachers crazy.... they loved the fact that I was reading, just not the fact that I did it and nothing else!

I could list several of my favorite novels. I read them all the time, especially during the summer. My friends always get mad at me when we go on beach trips because all I do is read, read, read. But, today I am going to focus on my favorite children's books. I'm an elementary teacher, so I thought it would be appropriate! Plus, I figured most people who find this off of Kelly's page will be moms looking for books for their kids. So, these are a few of my favorites. Trust me though, I have way more!
My Rotten Redheaded Older Brother by Patricia Polacco. If you have never read any of Patricia's books, go get some now! They are wonderful. She is my favorite children's author. All of her stories are about events from her life, but she writes them in a way that kids enjoy. This one is my favorite of hers because it's easy for me to relate to! My older brother use to drive me crazy when I was younger. He would pick on me and just get on my nerves! (just like the brother in this book!) But then when it came down to it, when I really needed him, he was always my protector. Most kids enjoy this book because they think their older siblings are annoying too, but then they realize that older siblings are worth having around. :) (Some of my other favorites of hers include The Keeping Quilt, Thank You Mr. Faulker, and more!)


Love You Forever. This one has been a favorite since I was a little kid. I could probably recite the entire book! My mom use to read it to me all the time. It goes through the life of a boy and all of the hard parts of being a parent- but at the end of every day, the mom tells the boy that she will always love him- "I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always, As long as I'm living, my baby you'll be." GREAT book to read to your children. I highly reccomend it, but be careful! Tears will probably result after you read it!


Alexander and the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day. What kid doesn't love this book? Kids have bad days all the time. The littlest things can upset them. They can relate to this book so well. The things that happen to Alexander happen to any kid! They love reading this book. And by the middle of it, they have caught on to the phrase and they are reading along with you. This is definately a favorite!

And for the adults, my favorite novel- Redeeming Love. If you haven't read it, do it now! It's amazing. It's a re-telling of the book of Hosea and it's set during the California Gold Rush. It is my favorite book! I've read it probably ten times. Go get it! Now!

1 comment:

King J's Queen said...

Redeeming Love is such an amazing story. I thoroughly enjoyed it.