Thursday, March 3, 2011

Big News

Last year I worked at Townley Elementary. You can go here and read about the day that I found out I had to leave Townley. I was heartbroken. I didn't want to leave. I love that school, I love my old coworkers, and I love my old students. I cried and cried and cried when they told me I had to leave.

I was moved to Farine. I teach 4th grade there currently. It was a really big struggle at first. I went from being best friends with my co workers to not knowing anyone at my school. I went from teaching two subjects to teaching all subjects! And it's also amazing what a difference a year can make in kids. It was a really hard transition for me. It was even harder because the entire time I kept telling myself that next year I would be back at Townley. It didn't matter if I made friends at my new school or got attached, because I didn't think I'd be there next year anyway.

Well, I now like it at Farine. I like my coworkers and my kids and I feel really blessed to get to experience another great school. There are plenty of schools that would not be fun to be placed in, but God placed me in one that He knew I would learn to love.

However, at the beginning of the year I began looking at my options for next year. I didn't know if a spot would open up back Townley. I didn't know if my spot would still be open at Farine. I didn't know what the budget cuts would do to my position. So I began looking at other options. And I remembered that a brand new net-zero middle school was opening in our district. And suddenly it hit me- when I first graduated, my desire was to teach middle school. How had I forgotten that? I started looking into the new school, and it really seemed like something I would be interested in.

So I applied. Along with 500 other people. What?! 500?! Yes. 500 other people. Jeez! I almost gave up hope! Then I got an email saying that I was selected for an interview. I made the first cut! Yes! And then I read the requirements for the interview. It included a ten minute presentation as well as researching several different sites. It was a lot of work, but I took it on. And two weeks ago, I interviewed for the new middle school.

Before the interview, I was so nervous. I was almost shaking that morning! But throughout the day I received text messages from friends telling me that they were praying for me and to remember that God had it all planned out for next year. (Have I mentioned that I have the best friends ever?) So I walked into the interview with confidence. I knew that no matter how the interview went, God already knew what and where I would be teaching next year. It really calmed my nerves to remember that.

The interview went so well! I walked out knowing that I had given it my best. I told my friends that even if they didn't hire me, I had given them my very best interview. If that wasnt what they were looking for, it didn't matter. Because it's what I was.

That was two weeks ago. I tried to put the interview at the back of my mind and not worry about it, because I really had no clue when she would hire. I had heard March 2nd, but I didn't know if the RIF and budget cut would affect that date. So I just tried to put it on the back of my mind. When March 2nd came and went yesterday, I tried not to think anything about it. Last night I had decided that she had either hired today and I hadn't heard anything, or she wasn't hiring until after the RIF.

Then I got a call during reading this morning. I obviously couldn't answer it, but I knew it was from the admin. building. She left a voicemail and I listened to it right before my lunch break. It was the principal! two thoughts were going through my mind:
1. She hired yesterday and is giving regrets today.
2. She gave regrets yesterday and is hiring today.

Needless to say, I rushed my kids off to lunch and then came back to the quiet of my classroom to call her back. Ring. Ring. Ring. Voicemail. Awesome! Because I wasn't nervous enough already! HA! A few minutes later she called me back.... and offered me a job! I will be teaching 7th grade reading at the new middle school in our district! I am sososososososo excited!! :-D

I've told pretty much everyone that needed to know- except I haven't informed my current grade level team. I think I am going to tell them next week (they wont all be at school tomorrow). I hope they understand and realize what a great opportunity this is!

I am excited to see what the next step in my journey of teaching career holds. I know that middle school will be challenging, but I can't wait to tackle it. I really think it's what I was made for! I also love taking a step back and looking at how God is weaving my story. I was so upset about leaving Townley in September. However, if I had never left Townley, I would never have even considered applying at the new middle school. And now I have a job there! It makes me really excited to see what the new school holds for me! I absolutely cannot wait. God is good!
post signature

4 comments:

Ann Marie said...

AW YAY!!! that is awesome!!! 7th grade is awesome!!

Congrats on getting that job! You will do amazing wherever you are placed and God has and is doing and will do big things through you at your schools you have taught and will teach at!!

Bon&Bud said...

I am so happy for you. The weird thing is..... I was sitting in grade level meeting today, paying attention of course, and I thought about you and the middle school job. Not sure why...but I did! THEN you text me this afternoon and I knew immediately! I am so happy for you!!!!!

Heather said...

Thanks Bonnie! It's sad to think that I'm REALLY not coming back to Townley next year. But nevertheless, I'm still super excited about this new opportunity!!!

Erin said...

Congrats love! You're going to be a fabulous middle school teacher!!!