Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Step One- Prequalifying!

So since this is my first adventure in buying a home, I thought it would be fun to record the process here in my blog! I'm super excited about this process.

My sister in law is a realtor in Austin, and I think that without her knowledge I would be way too scared to do this! I am using her realty company, but the one that is based in Dallas. Alicean is helping out in the process though, and I am so thankful for her guidance!!

So far, I have started looking at different homes online in the area that I like. I really like some of them! Some things that I really want in a home is 3 bedrooms and 2 baths, an updated kitchen, and a nice big fenced in backyard! I have found a few that I am really excited about seeing. We are going Saturday after lunch to start looking!!

Last night, I sat down and filled out all of the paper work for pre-qualifying for a mortgage. I applied with two banks, and to be honest, I was super nervous about it! I haven't bought much on credit, so I wasn't sure if I'd be pre-approved or not. One of the banks just emailed me and said I'm pre-approved though! Yay! That makes me even more excited!!

Some of you may be curious as to how I'm suddenly able to buy a house. If you know anything about me, you know that I've wanted a house for a long time. Like, probably since I moved into my dorm room in college. Ha! My mom passed away when I was 18, and she left her money to us. However, she made it so that we couldn't take the money until we were 25. She wanted us to use the money as a down payment on our first home. Well, the time has come where I am about to turn 25! Which is how I am really able to afford this at this moment in time. There are some other reasons as to why I've decided to do it now, but that's the major one.

Mine and Holly's lease is up on May 9th. My goal is to have a house by then! That's super soon, I know. But I'm praying that God leads me to the right house and that it all works out! Holly will be moving to Oklahoma sometime in the next year (I haven't mentioned that in my blog yet! I will do a post on that soon!) Anyway, she will be my roomie in my new house until she decides to move to Oklahoma. This will work really well for her, because she won't have to worry about getting out of a lease whenever she decides to move. And it works really well for me, because she will pay me rent that will help pay my mortgage in my first months as a HOMEOWNER!

Since my mom left me this money, it's even more special for me. I would trade this money for my mom any second of any day. But I'm very thankful to be able to use the money she left me for the reasons she wanted me to use it. I hope to find a home that reminds me of her. And I then want to use this home as a way to show hospitality to others, because that would honor my mom in so many ways.

So that's where I am right now! Saturday I will be looking at some houses. I will post more then! This is such an exciting process and I can't wait to have my own home. I am seriously ecstatic!!

No comments: