For starters, you'll need a blank canvas that is the SAME size as your picture! For this tutorial, I used a 5x7. But I also made some 8x10s, an 11x14, and a 15x30!

And a picture of your choosing that fits on the canvas....
The first thing you need to do is paint the edges and a little bit on the trim. This is so that if you cut the picture and the back shows through, you don't see white! You can use any color you want, but I went with black.
Then you trim the picture just a little. You want it to be slightly smaller than the canvas. Here is a shot of mine after I trimmed it.
Then you cover the canvas in mod podge. I used the matte finish and love how it turned out! After you cover the canvas in mod podge, you lay the picture on the canvas and flatten it all down. Be sure to get all air bubbles out! I didn't have a problem with air bubbles, but you might?
Then you cover the entire front of the picture with mod podge, being sure to get the edges really well. You want to go all in one direction so that it doesn't dry funny. It looks really milky at first, but I promise it dries beautifully!
Then you let it dry for awhile. I let mine dry over night! Then it looks like this...
Yay! I think it's cute. This one is on my fireplace. I made a TON all at once- it took me like an hour to make all of them! Here are some others that I made...
Hope this tutorial helps some of you! It's a great, easy, cheap Christmas gift! The ones posted were all for me, but you better believe lots of family and friends will be finding these under their trees this year! (Sorry Mawmaw, I know you read my blog... so you're getting a different gift from me! :) )











1 comment:
did you have an issue with the modpodge peeling off after it sat for a while?
Post a Comment