Monday, June 28, 2010

Love & Joy

Isn't it funny how God always makes sure a sermon is preached right when you need to hear it? Yesterday Miller taught in the great hall. I don't know where Pike was, but I was excited nonetheless to hear Miller. If Pike isn't preaching, Miller would always be my second choice. We did a bible study with Miller in the spring and it was amazing. He is so wise and always teaches the bible in a new and unique way.

Yesterday was about loving others and having joy in our life. We read John 15:1-17. Miller gave us four "steps" on how to find joy in our lives, and he found them in those verses. 1. Remain (abide) in His love. 2. Bear fruit. 3. Obey His commands and 4. Love each other. My favorite thing he said was this, "Love those that you back.... and love those that will never imagine loving you even more." Number 4 is one that I have heard over and over in my life, but never in a way that hit me yesterday. I've had a lot of bitterness lately towards someone who constantly talks bad about me when I feel like I have done nothing to her. I have been convicted to pray for her, and yesterday it really hit me. Not only do I need to pray for her, but I need to love her. Love? Seriously? I think one of the hardest things to do in life is to always love the people that mean the most to you-- let alone the people who hate you! But there it is, in John 15:12-- This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. It doesn't say to only love your friends and family. It says one another-- everyone.

So my next step in this process of not letting this person get to me is to love them. When I get angry or frustrated, I think of one thing that I liked about them when I knew them. And I love that about them.

God is faithful, and I know he will prove Himself faithful during this time in my life. His promise says this: "If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in His love. These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full." John 15:10-11. Did you read that? Christ's joy will be in me, and that joy will be FULL. I will cling to his commandments and follow his truths, and along the way, I will continue to learn even more about living in his faithfulness and his joy.


No comments: