Friday, April 29, 2011

You're the God of this City...

I don't even know how to explain the emotions that I have felt since Wednesday.... scared to death, bursting into tears, relief when texts, facebook posts, and phone calls came in from loved ones, tears, grace, mercy, torn to the core....

Wednesday was testing day, so I hadn't been in contact with anyone all day. I got home around 4 and recieved a text from my friend Nikki saying that a tornado was headed straight to Hackleburg, where my friend Tiffany lives. I didn't think much of it, tornadoes are always in Alabama and rarely cause that much damage.

Then I get on facebook around 4:30, and see everyone's facebook statuses about Tuscaloosa. I turn on the news, and the Dallas news is broadcasting the huge tornado that was going through Tuscaloosa at that exact moment. I'm sure you've all seen it- it was massive. I just started bawling my eyes out and trying to call Nikki. Of course, the calls wouldn't go through since the cell towers were down. I finally got in touch with Erin, who said her and Collin made it. By this point, I had pulled James Spann up on the computer. He says, "If you're in Trussville, take cover, it's coming your way." And I looked at Holly and said, "Seriously?! It goes to Tuscaloosa and then Trussville?!?" I frantically called my younger brother, who assured me that he, my dad, and stepmom were already in the basement. Then I start seeing pictures of Tuscaloosa. Ohmyword. Here are just a few...

What was 15th street
There use to be a Full Moon BBQ and Milo's here


Where Midtown Mall was

This was one of my favorite places in town- it had a milos and hobby lobby in the same shopping center. There use to be a big lots there to the left but it's gone....



And then I realize-- Midtown Mall is gone. Nikki lives right behind Midtown Mall. I'm freaking out. I call and call and call and can't get anything. I text and never get responses. I'm literally thinking... my best friend is dead. She's gone. Ohmygosh.

Thankfully, Nikki was able to get enough service on her phone to connect to facebook and post that she was alive, although trees were on top her house and car. I was rejoicing! Literally, I was crying and thanking God for sparing her. Then I get a text from my family that the storm didn't hit in Trussville. ANOTHER ANSWER TO PRAYER! And then.... James Spann says it's headed to Gadsden. SERIOUSLY?! The same tornado is going to hit the three towns that have most of my friends and loved ones?! We tried calling our grandmother, but again couldn't reach her. She called us later that night to tell us that she was fine.

At this point, I know the damage is bad. I've heard of that damage and seen pictures. But, I hadn't given the tornado in Hackleburg a second thought. It wasn't the same one going through Tuscaloosa, Trussville, and Gadsden, but it still happened. I texted Tiffany asking if she was ok. Thankfully, I got a quick response that said "We r ok." I took that as "Ok, Hackleburg is fine..."

Then during bible study, we get a text saying that at that moment 17 people had died in Hackleburg and that the main part of town was gone. I realize that most of you have probably never even heard of Hackleburg it's so small. But it was the six's second home. It's where we went to get away. It was a place for simplier life and a place to enjoy a relaxing weekend. And it's gone. Thankfully, Tiffany, Cody, Tenley, and TIffany's family are alive.


Wednesday afternoon I literally sat there, speechless. Nothing but tears and "ohmygosh...." could come out. What do you do when you're miles away watching the cities you love fall in front of your eyes? What do you do when you realize it's going straight through where your friends and family live, and there is absolutely nothing you can do? What do you think? What do you say? I really have no idea....

Since Wednesday, I've been addicted to the news. I'm constantly looking at the photographs, reading news articles, watching Alabama news online. There are over 230 people dead in Alabama, entire cities-- cities that I love-- demolished.... and yet... every single one of my loved ones is living. Sure, they might have lost their cars, their homes, and maybe even all of their possessions. But they are ALIVE!!

Honestly, I can't even comprehend this. How does a day like Wednesday happen in multiple towns where I have loved ones, and no one I know has passed away? How is that? How is that I am not on a plane, headed back to Alabama for multiple, multiple funerals? How is it that I can call all of the ones I was worried about on Wednesday, and hear them answer their phones?! It's because of GOD. The news media will continue to flash before us the death toll. Has anyone taken the time to count the miracles? These stories will emerge, but will they be reported? The stories of the miracles will surely outnumber the stories of the dead. The stories that I've heard are bone chilling. Hundreds of people who hid in closets and bathrooms, only to emerge and find that the little room they were in was the only part of their house left standing. If that's not God's protecting hand, I don't know what is. Stories of churches being demolished, but their Easter cross still standing tall and proud-- with the cloth still wrapped around it. If that's not a message from God, I don't know what is! He is strong through the fiercest storms!!!

I am heartbroken. I am devasted. It kills me to look at these pictures of these places I loved demolished. It kills me that I'm not there to help re-build these places that I love and to help re-build the lives of my loved ones. But then it hit me--- yes, I love those places. But it's not because of the actual place. It's because of the people, the amazing, loving, beautiful people, that I spent time with in those places. It's the people that make me love those places. And I am a lucky one who can say this--- cities can be rebuilt. Homes can be rebuilt. But praise the amazing, powerful, loving God who spared my PEOPLE. 

But then I go back to, why am I a lucky one? Why did the tornado completely demolish the neighborhood my best friend lives in, but left her house standing? Why did this massive tornado break apart literally as it went over my hometown, only to come back together as soon as it passed it? Why did it then veer away from Gadsden? Why did Tiffany's entire town get wiped off the mat, but her family is still alive? Why are my loved ones safe, when so many others lost everything and everyone? I don't know. I don't understand it. It's mind boggling. But I am truly, beyond belief, grateful. And I want to get in my car, drive to Alabama, and hug every single one of those people.

For those in Alabama and across the southeast who weren't lucky like me and lost loved ones, even multiple loved ones... know that you are in the prayers of millions of people. Our God is strong, and powerful. And the state of Alabama is an amazing one. It's full of amazing people who love with all they have, and give of everything they have. Alabama will be healed. Alabamians won't let otherwise happen. I pray that through this heartache and destruction, that millions of hearts are turned to our Savior. He is the only one who is strong enough to put your hope in. He will never forsake you--- even in the strongest of storms.

To my precious Tuscaloosa, Hackleburg, and the entire state of Alabama-- "You're the God of this city, you're the King of these people, You're the Lord of this nation, You are. You're the light in the darkness, you're the hope to the hopeless, You're the peace to the restless, You are. There is no one like our God. For greater things are yet to come, and greater things are still to be done in this city!"
post signature

No comments: