As I posted here, my cousin Peyton was killed in a car wreck after leaving the Auburn game last weekend. He would have been 14 the following day. I heard today some of the sweetest things that Auburn has done for my family. Coach Chizik sent the family a letter that was read at the funeral. Cam Newton sent a letter as well. The swim team sent a shirt and cap with Peyton's name on it that they all signed and the swim coach came to the funeral. (Peyton was a big swimmer who dreamed of swimming for Auburn one day) Rumor has it the football team MIGHT put his initials on something during the LSU game. (I have no idea if that is really true though.) I've been told that Peyton loved Auburn football. He spent his last hours here on earth cheering on those tigers. His last text to his dad said, "I just toched Coach Cizik and Cam Newton, I'm never washing my hands again." And the fact that they are taking the time to reach out to my family during their heartbreak and heartache melts my heart. I know it has meant a ton to my family.
So for tonight, I'll leave you with a war eagle! It may be one of the few times I say it in my life, so enjoy it while it lasts.

4 comments:
I'm just now catching up with blogger. I'm so sorry to hear of your family's loss. The Plainsman (campus newspaper) wrote a touching article that brought me to tears. I know how devastating the loss of a young family member can be. I will be praying for your aunt, as I know she will continue to go through a lot and I will also be praying and thinking about his parents and sister. Know that Peyton was not only greeted by the loving arms of your mom but also by my brother's huge smile and hearty War Eagle. I hope your family is finding peace during this time of mourning and remembrance.
Cora- is this article online? Or do you have a copy of it? I'd love to read it sometime.
I posted it to my blog; the actual online article allows anyone to post a comment. This way you wouldn't have to read any negative possible comments. If you want the link anyway, I can send it to you as well. I have the actual paper as well if you want me to mail it out to you.
i'm also just catching up on blogs...my heart goes out to your family! i'm so sorry for your loss, and will keep your family in my prayers. love to you!
Post a Comment