Thursday, October 28, 2010

Day 4

Day 4- Your Parents

This is me, holly, Chase, and my dad at the beach. :)
My dad is named Cort. Technically, that's his middle name. His first name is Kevin, but he has always gone by Cort. He is 46 years old. He does a little bit of everything. He works for a company called Vistage, owns a company called ActionSportsArt and another company called Harwood Consulting. He use to own some Fitness Togethers but just recently sold them. And for the first time in his entire life, he doesn't work for a company that owns restaurants or own a restaurant himself. My dad isn't capable of enjoying down time- he thrives on working. Just the other day I was talking to him and he was telling me that the first 3 weeks of the month are his busiest because he tries to do all of his work then so that he has the last week of the month off. I laughed at him and told him to keep dreaming because even if he had that week off, he wouldn't relax and enjoy it- he would just go come up with another idea of another company to start. He laughed and agreed with me. My dad has always worked hard and provided well for his family. I will say that I never went without things that I  needed. He also loves sports, and it's probably where my love of sports came from. When I was a kid, he coached me in all kinds of sports. I played soccer, softball, and basketball. He took us to Alabama football games at a young age and we also use to go to Atlanta quite often for the baseball games. I to this day love sitting with my dad at an Alabama football game- we critique the game the entire time and high five each other and scream and holler. It's always so much fun! I wouldn't say that I'm a "daddy's girl", but my dad is definately an important person in my life. Our relationship struggled through some trying times a few years back so we aren't as close as normal dads and daughters, but I'm grateful for the relationship that we do have today.

My mom's name was Laura, but my friends and I lovingly referred to her as "Lala". We told her that would be her grandmother name one day and she liked the grandmother name but hated that we called her that. She always told us that she wasn't old enough to be called by her grandmother name yet. However, we all still called her Lala. I keep referring to her in past tense because my mom passed away almost 5 years ago after a long battle with Leukemia. She was the most amazing woman in the world though. She loved having people over to her house, so I grew up in a house that was always full of smiles and laughter and people. It's a trait that has been passed on to my sister and I as well. We have become just like our mom in the sense that everyone is always at our place. We have become hostesses just like our mom. Our mom also cared about everyone. Even the littlest things. I remember my friends coming over when they had a bad day just to chat about it. She always listened, no matter how petty the problem. She was always smiling, singing, and laughing. And she LOVED the holidays! I know I could go on and on about how wonderful my mom was, but I have done that plenty of times in my blog. For those that knew my mom, you know how rare of a woman she was and how the world has been a worse place since her death. For those of you who didnt get the chance to meet her, just know that you missed out on a wonderful person.

My parents are two completely different people. Now that I'm older and can really understand the kind of person they are, I'm not sure how they were ever together. But thank goodness they were, because if not, I wouldn't be here. :) It's been a rough road with both of my parents, but overall, I would say that I am a blessed daughter. :)
post signature

No comments: