Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Pawpaw

Please say a prayer for my grandfather. I just found out that he has had his second stroke in two years. My dad said this was is really severe and that the next 24 hours are critical. Please keep him in your prayers. I will update when I know more.

*Update- 3:30 PM- Pawpaw is stabilized in the sense that his brain isn't hemorrhaging anymore. My dad said that this means he will not pass away tonight. However, it doesn't look like he will get much better than he is right now if at all. He currently cannot speak and cannot move his left side. The doctors said if he improves, it will only be 10-20% from where he is now. He will never be the man I know again. The doctors are also worried that he could catch pneumonia which would end up killing him. He will also more than likely need a feeding tube, but my dad said he has signed a piece of paper saying that if it comes to feeding tubes or breathing machines that he doesn't want any- to just send him on home to the Lord. My dad and my aunt are almost at the time where they have to decide to give him a feeding tube anyway, or let him go. My dad said at this point my pawpaw won't die tonight, but he more than likely will in the next few days unless they go with the feeding tube. My dad said that even if they give him a feeding tube, that his quality of life will be very, very low- that he won't be much more than a vegetable.

Please pray for my family as we come to terms with this news. Help us to accept it if it is his time. Help my aunt and my dad to make the right decision for him.

It seems almost surreal that 5 years ago almost to the day, I sat in a room with my siblings and grandparents and doctors and had to decide if we would keep hanging on or let our mom go. I remember sitting at the end of the table and my grandparents saying it was our decision, and I remember making the decision with my siblings, but besides that I feel like that whole time period is a blur. I don't even remember what the doctors looked like that were sitting with us. I could pass them on the streets now and have no idea. Anyway, I know what it's like to have to decide what's best for your parent--- it's hard-- they are suppose to decide what's best for you-- not the other way around. So my heart goes out to my dad and my aunt as they make this decision. I pray that they will seek God's heart and follow in what they believe is God's will for my grandfather.

Please pray for my family as we deal with this. If he passes, pray for us as we plan the arrangements and us grandkids make plans to come home. If he doesn't pass, pray for a miracle healing. I know my pawpaw wouldn't want to live a life in a bed barely coherent. If that's what it comes to, my prayer is that the Lord will bring him on home,

I love you pawpaw.
This is my family with my Pawpaw on his birthday my senior year of college. That is a picture I painted him for his birthday. He loves Alabama football!

post signature

No comments: