Pike is currently doing a serious on Overestimating ourselves and underestimating God. I do that all the time. In particular, I did it yesterday. There is this certain situation that drives me crazy. Apparently, it drives the other person crazy too-- but we both think the other is the one doing the driving of crazy. Does that even make sense? Anyway, in this situation I am constantly overestimating myself-- assuming that whatever I say will make this person realize that I did nothing to her. But today I realized I am underestimating the fact that God is the only one who can change her heart.
Anyway, I was going to write a (5th grade version) of a post yesterday to vent about my frustration with this particular situation. I didn't... but it was mainly because I wanted to be the bigger person and not blog badly about someone else. Therfore, I'm still not going to do it.
As always, the Lord had a message for me today, and he relayed it through Michael.. (Michael is our singles minsiter.) We are currently studying the book of James and I love it! Today we looked at chapter 2 of James, but we also skimmed a few verses in chapter 3. It's the verses in chapter 3 that the Lord used to speak to me. I am going to quote them and then talk about what I learned.
"But no human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly posion. With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse people who are made in the likeness of God. From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers, these things ought not to be." James 3: 8-10
Michael said that the translation of the word "curse" in this verse does not mean literally using a curse word about the person. The word "curse" means saying anything about the person that is not positive. Ouch. First off, I do that daily. But especially in this certain situation I was talking about above. Yesterday, I was wanting to write hateful things about this person in a stupid blog! First off, thats extremely middle schoolish of me, and second-- that is me cursing someone else. What is even worse is this person is my sister in Christ! She is someone I am suppose to love-- she is made in the likeness of my Lord and Savior! Therefore when I curse her and say ugly things about her, it is just like I am cursing my Lord and Savior. And the worst part is, I went to church today and praised my Savior with the same mouth.
Talk about conviction. I realize that this is something every girl struggles with every day, but I particularly struggle with this girl. She says ugly things about me and I feel like it's for no reason., therefore I feel like I'm justified to say ugly things about her. But I'm not! This is something I'm really going to try to work on. It's hard, but I want my tongue to be one that doesnt praise and curse. And hopefully this sister in Christ will do the same. Because rather I like her or not, one day we will be spending eternity together praising our Lord and in the end... that's all that really matters.


2 comments:
I can't thank you enough for posting this... I am actually writing a current blog about holding our tongues and its title right now is admit. I am going through a situation where I confronted someone and they denied everything. I am at a point of pure frustration and want to let it all out, but I can't since that is not the right thing to do like you said in your blog, it is what middle school kids do! So, I am thankful that you posted this because I needed to read that verse before I went on writing anymore. We have to all keep seeking the Lord in everything we say and do and for some reason we all forget to do it and I am the first to admit it. anyway, love your blog posts! :)
I have really had to let the Lord guide me in what to say in this blog I am working on because like you said, we all deal with it.
it's definitely something I struggle with daily. it's just in human nature to bash people that get on your nerves, but as Christ's followers we are held to a higher standard of that. It's a struggle, but I know it won't be one forever... giving it over to the Lord.... all things are possible to quit with His help! love you re :)
Post a Comment